Saturday, May 26, 2007

Summertime

Do you know the song?

"Summertime, and the livin' is easy, fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high...". It's by George Gershwin and from the musical Porgy and Bess. I sang this song for my Junior Recital in college. I love this song.

I found myself humming it as I was driving away from my last Kindermusik class of the year. It's finally arrived for me...summer.

My body's natural response to this realization? Crash mode. I remember a similar feeling of relief when I finished my last final of the year in college...sang and played the last song for juries, turned in my last paper, finshed the last essay question. Finally, I could relax, release the stress, sleep. Peace...rest.

As I was pondering this today, I came to a sad realization. This feeling of peace and rest is available to me anytime, yet I rarely take advantage. I choose to only have circumstantial peace instead of the peace that passes ALL understanding ALL the time.

Foolish girl.

True peace is not circumstantial. It is freely available to us all the time...anytime...in the arms of our Maker.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28&29 (NIV)

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

3 comments:

Shelley said...

what a great reminder! every day, all day i wait for the moment i can rest, i forget that "resting" can be achieved in more than just plopping on the couch for a little bit. thanks alana!

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

You are a great writer! What a blessing it has been to me to read your perspectives on life. THANK YOU, friend!

Grafted Branch said...

Just jogging through from your url on my sitemeter...

I love the way you brought the whole post around to this beautiful end.