Saturday, June 16, 2007

There is ONE Spider I Like...

...her name is Charlotte.



Richie and I just finished reading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. If you have never read this book or the last time you read it was as a child you should read it again. Delightful is the word that comes to mind. It is full of humor and wisdom. I adored my reading time with Richie...this was our first attempt at a chapter book and I can't wait for the next one. I think we might try Stuart Little next, also by E.B. White.

On occasion our family enjoys a movie night together. Since we had just finished the book, Charlotte's Web (the new version of the movie with Dakota Fanning as Fern and Julia Roberts playing the voice of Charlotte) seemed a perfect selection for our viewing pleasure. We thoroughly enjoyed it!

If you have never tried a family movie night at your house, I highly recommend it! It is a cuddling, snuggling, giggling, popcorn eating, candy licking good time! Our boys love it and look forward to it all day. Actually we all do.

I just had an idea. I would love it if you would all share some of your favorite children's chapter book ideas with me as well as good family night movies. I will then keep a running list of both on my blog for so that everyone can benefit.

Wouldn't it be great to have a list of wholesome books and movies like Charlotte's Web to reference from? I love it!

Let's do it...

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I read Charlotte's Web again while I was pregnant with Luke, what a great book! I don't know that I'm much use adding to a list because I am terrible at knowing what's age appropriate!

Janelle said...

We adore Facing the Giants movie. VERY strong Christian values. Too old for L, but Z loves it. Also, enjoy reading Junie B. Jones with Z. Some words I change as I read...like stupid. But she is cute and her adventures make him laugh. I am excited for when they are old enough for the Narnia series of books and movies.

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

When Shira was about 3, we stumbled across an old rerun of "Little House on the Prairie." She fell in love with Laura, and her pigtails - which we often do for her, so last Christmas, I got her the complete set of LIW books. She LOVES them - now if momma could just be more consistent about our reading time. :)

Sparky said...

You and R would probably really enjoy the Magic Treehouse series (fun adventures with Jack & Annie). Mads LOVES them. I also got her into The Littles (do you remember those stories about the little people w/ tails who live in the walls of a big person's house? - they're quite fun and entertaining).

kittyhox said...

I'm going to limit myself to five because I LOVE children's books.

1. The Little House Series, even for boys
2. The Indian in the Cupboard series
3. The People of Pineapple Place and sequel
4. Sarah, Plain and Tall series
5. Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I read this to two little boys I once babysat for and they loved it);

Now for movies

1. Pollyanna (the Hayley Mills version)
2. Parent Trap (either the original or sequel)
3. Swiss Family Robinsons
4. Follow Me Boys
5. Holes

:)