Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Tide is Changing

Feel free to say it. I know you want to. Don't hold back. I know what you are thinking.

"I told you so!"

Today was a good day. There was absolutely no weeping or gnashing of teeth because my oldest child was at school and not with me. That is not to say that I didn't miss him or that I wasn't eager to pick him after school and hear about his day, but I enjoyed the day with William and Richie really seems to be coming into his own with enjoying school. Thank the Lord!

Today when Rich dropped him off at school, he said he walked into the school with a spring in his step. If you know Richie, you know that is the norm. He doesn't really walk, he skips. He's a joyful child, full of energy and life. He really threw me for a loop that first day when he came home without that spring. That is so out of character for him. I see now that he was overwhelmed and tired. I should have expected as much and given him license for that, but instead I chose to sound the alarm of my heart (BEEEEEEP!!! WARNING...WARNING...something is wrong...prepare for worst case scenario). Because I'm a Mom and I worry and Satan tells LIES!

Thankfully, I have peace in my heart. Has someone been praying this for me? Probably so, thank you! I'm not sure I've had the presence of mind to pray it for myself.

Will and I had a lovely day. We played at the park, took a trip to Target, and ate lunch together at a little table for two. Can I just tell you how much I loved eating lunch alone with that little guy? It was PRECIOUS. He was so stinking cute with his face covered in pizza sauce and ranch dressing, I could have eaten him up!

After we picked Richie up from school and took a short trip to the grocery store to obtain some essential items for dinner tonight. Yes, you read that right. I'm cooking dinner! And for the second night in a row!! That is a record for me these days. I finally got my stuff together and prepared a meal plan for the week. No more standing at the refrigerator wondering what's for dinner. Atleast not this week...

One last thing. Is it possible that Richie has matured in the four short days he has attended Kindergarten? He seems and acts older. Strange, but nice.

20 comments:

Celeste said...

How awesome to have some Will time!

Carissa said...

so happy for you alana!! what a great report!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely possible for the little "man" to have matured in a mere 4 days. Kindergarten does that to ya!

Now that JP is a 4 day old 1st grader he has a hair on his chest you know!

Glad you enjoyed the day...AJ and I LOVE our alone time!

Melissa said...

I'm so glad things are turning around! Hopefully it'll just keep getting better!

life with the wisners said...

i'm picturing you and will just having a little date together.

and i've got a giddy little grin on my face.

there is nothing better than a date with a younger man. and you KNOW that you were the envy of all the other women.

Short Stop said...

Hi! Just getting caught up on your blog after vacation! I love your emotions in these posts about Richie going to Kindergarten...the humor, sadness, longing...I can only imagine myself feeling the same way! Glad you have peace about it! :)

Shelley said...

I think that Ellie has matured too. It is strange, but I suppose being around kids their same age all day, probably brings that out. It's amazing, the changes that have already happened after only 4 days, I can't hardly imagine what they'll be like at the end of the school year.

Darlene R. said...

I can fully understand the emotions with the Kindergarten thing! I just sent my last one! It is kinda nice to have lunch with my hubs....in the quiet house. It was strange for a week or so, but I am getting used to it.
I am so glad that I am not the only one that stands in front of the fridge with that look of wonder. I always say to myself "you need to start making a menu".... that's about as far as it goes! That's harder to do than it seems... I am impressed though, 2 nights in a row..good for you!

Sparky said...

I'm so glad all is well with your family (and Richie). He was ready for Kindergarten and you'll love watching him grow up this year. It's amazing how quickly they change (and also revert back from time to time).

Lynn said...

Sounds like things are falling in place with school. Before you know it....oh never mind. You know. They grow up too fast. The pictures you compare of him now and at the end of school will amaze you and yes, he will seem and act older.

kittyhox said...

Yaaaay! I never thought about when the oldest goes off to school for the first time - what that means for the younger one(s).

It's a pretty neat time for you and your little guy - time for him to have more of his Mama to himself and see what it's like to be the only kid around the house. What a special season!

Glad the good stuff is becoming more apparent and you're feeling more at peace about the hard part of this Kindergarten business.

:)

michelle said...

I'm so glad Richie is enjoying school! Just wait until the first time he really reads a whole book to you! :)

lori said...

Alana,
good morning...THANK YOU for sharing the signature site...you saw it made my week really!!
enjoy those moments with the littest...it really is his special times..i remember them wtih my baby, (who is only 7, but...)
I love what youv'e done with the place...:)
and it is VERY nice to meet you as well!
happy wednesday~
lori (too bad that cute little signature can't be put here!!

Janelle said...

You will love having Will all to yourself. I feel like I have really gotten to know Loulabelle for the first time w/o Z's influence. I love my days with her.

Yes, be prepared for lots of maturation this year...all good.

Rochelle said...

I know what you mean! Keilani seems to have matured... in only two days! Kind of nice, yes, but a little scary too! Where is my baby going?

Anonymous said...

15 comments! Seriously Alana you have left me in the dust.

You are in a whole new league now! Will you remember me on your way to fame? :)

Fran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
debra parker said...

Thanks for your encouraging words and the verse. it was so needed.

debra

Kate said...

Yeah! Glad the spring is back in his step. And yes, maturation is possible. Inevitable really.

Kate

Carissa said...

i just had to take your comment count to 20. truly alana...you are famous! and we knew you when!! : )