Monday, March 17, 2008

Holy Cow!

That was one of the many exclamatory remarks used today by the Chiropractor that examined me. As she was feeling my neck, shoulders, and back for tension, she said things like, "Holy Cow", "My goodness, girl", and "You poor thing".

It seems I'm a bit tightly wound.

And maybe a slight freak of nature?

I'm just relieved she didn't call anyone else into the office to see said freak. I had that happen once at the dentist's office. The dentist called in all the other people in the office to look at my dental x-rays because apparently they were that freak-like and rare.

Something like that can do so much for one's self esteem.

In all seriousness, though, I LOVE my new Chiropractor and she hasn't even done any adjustments on me yet. She did tell me that 95% of the migraine sufferers she takes on either get complete relief or see a marked improvement with their headaches. Yay!! I'll take either/or at this point. She took some x-rays to make sure there isn't anything wrong before she starts doing actual adjustments. And before I left she did some muscle treatment using electrical pulses on the main muscle in my back that runs up to the shoulders and neck. I think it is the trapezius muscle. That was interestingly good. I'm still feeling the effects of that. Afterwards, I felt like saying, "Um yes, may I have two of those little machines to go, please?" However, I am pretty sure not even one of those little machine would be in the budget. And need I even mention the trouble my rambunctious boys could get into with a machine that involves electrical pulses?

SO. I am scheduled to go back on Wednesday morning for an actual adjustment. Words cannot even express my eagerness for this!

I think this woman could become my new best friend. Although, my friend Shelley would also be in the running since she graciously watched my kids today during my appointment!

All that to say I am feeling hopeful about getting relief from these terrible headaches. Thank you so much for the kind, encouraging words you left in the comments section of my post about the migraines. And also for the prayers. I have felt the power of those prayers in a very real way the last few days. For that I am grateful and give God the glory!

I'll continue to keep you posted (no pun intended).

27 comments:

beth said...

You will become quite fond of her, of that I'm sure!! I'm so glad you are close to relief! Now, plug in the Play Station when you get home, give Richie unlimited playing time, so that you can sit on the couch and let the adjustment LAST a little longer! (Ha Ha!)

Teresa said...

YEAH!!! So glad your appointment went well. Bring on the relief!!!

Janelle said...

Those are probably not the words one wants to hear about her back and spine. I am sure she can help you. Sure of it.

You will be a whole new Alana. Ready to leap small buildings in a single bound!

Can't wait to see the relief on you face, friend. It has been a long time for you.

Earen said...

HORAY for help! Not that their words were the most encouraging, but hopefully she'll take you on with full force & be able to help!!

life with the wisners said...

oh yay! i am so thrilled for you! can't wait to hear all about the success.

can she squeeze me in?

His Girl said...

I get those comments from the Chiro, too.
May your new dr. be the migraine eradicator!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

LOL! Sounds like you went just in the nick of time! Let us know how it goes for the actual adjustment. I may be able to talk my husband into going so he can get some relief.

Xandra

Darlene R. said...

That kinda sounds like what Tim, my new Chiropractor friend said to me on the cruise, God bless him a thousand times over!

Did she tell you your ribs were out of alignment? That was the strangest thing he told , but he fixed them and I haven't had a bad headache since. I have had a couple of headaches, but I took Advil and they went away. That hasn't happened for a long, long time.
I wish he didn't live so far away!

Glad you are the road to more pleasant days.

Love,
Darlene

dawn said...

So glad your appt went well. I thought of you several times yesterday. I sure hope she will help you. I am glad your dr is a woman. I think women drs understand woman issues so much better than men.

Relief is in sight, my friend!

Praise God!

Shelley said...

I was thrilled to keep your boys! I'm so glad your appt went well. I can't wait to hear how wednesday goes!

Denise said...

good news.
can shelly come to my house?

Carissa said...

YEAH!!!!!! i'm so glad to hear the great news!!!! here's to NO MORE MIGRAINES!!!

Heather said...

Glad you are feeling a bit better. I hope that she can help you get to be 99.9% better! :)

Unknown said...

Oh YAY! I'm so happy for you!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I'm glad I found your blog. I related to you right away. I just saw a new chiropractor last week and his response was "whoa!" I also had a similar dental experience...I never grew adult molars in several teeth. I've also had a few of the "check out this freak of nature" at several doctor's appointments. I'm so happy that you will be getting relief. Pain is debilitating.

Rochelle said...

Yay!!! It sounds like the chiropractor hit just the right spot... uh... okay, pun intended! :)

Growin' with it said...

Happy to hear there's help in sight. I had a good laugh at the thought of boys and electric pulse machines...perhaps a cat involved in there somewhere too? I know I wouldn't put it past my own munchkins.

Here's to the sunshine coming your way!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear it went well!
I am praying for you!
~Lori
The Bargain Shopper Lady

Rachel said...

It sounds like you are on the right track for relief. I have suffered from seasons of migraines in the past--I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Fran said...

Im singing this right now...

"Hallelujah...hallelujah....
hallelujah, hallelujah, hall-leeee-luh-jah!"

So thrilled for ya! And, yes. Keep us posted! :)

Hugs~
Fran

michelle said...

I'm glad to hear you had a great appointment! Let me know if I can help with the boys!

Jamie said...

Yay, Alana! I am happy for you. I had an experiance at the Dr. where he brought two students in to see my freakishness. It was lovely, especially considering I was partially clothed.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

That's great news - I'm glad you were able to find someone you not only liked but you feel comfortable with. I hope your appointments continue to go well.

Faith said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOOOOOVE, did I mention LOVE my chiropractor??? It'll be great. You'll LOVE it.

Heather C said...

(((((((((Alana))))))))))))))) Glad you are finding some relief. I pray it helps with the migraines immensely!

I saw an orthopedic massage therapist a couple of weeks ago. She said much the same as your chiropractor... "My goodness! Your neck is so tight!"

Upon realizing I'd fallen asleep as she worked over my muscles I received this gem: "You are one exhausted woman!" Genius. LOL. Didn't need her to tell me that! :)

Sorry for the absence... hoping to get back on track a bit now. God bless, my friend! Love you!

Heather

Lynn said...

Your post about having these headaches came out while I was on vacation, but I am glad that you have some encouraging news to report from your visit with the chiropractor. I hope you are feeling like yourself (or some other super hero) again soon.

Anonymous said...

That's great news!

I think I would be scared of chiropractors----I'm such a chicken! (Bock!)