Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Chiropractic Chronicles

Volume 1

I've decided to take a new angle with my blog.

Kidding.

I can already see your eyes glazing over. I don't really plan on there being more than one volume in the Chiropractic Chronicles. But I just couldn't resist that title. Don't you just love alliteration?

SO. I owe you all an update on my first adjustment. I've actually had two now. You'll get some indication of how it went when I tell you that at the second adjustment I actually said to my chiropractor "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?". And I meant it. I REALLY meant it.

When I arrived for the first adjustment, before showing me my x-rays, she took me to see a picture of a "normal" neck. A normal neck has a curve in it like this...


Then after showing me what my neck SHOULD look like she, she showed me the x-ray of what it ACTUALLY looks like. Instead of being curved my neck is straight and even slightly curved in the wrong direction. She said that almost all of the patients she sees for headaches/migraines have this "straight neck".


(See, I told you I was a freak.)

(I'm kidding.)

(Really.)

DISCLAIMER 1: This is not a picture of my actual neck...I found this picture of my long lost, "straight necked brother" on the internet.

DISCLAIMER 2: I also feel the need to admit that I did SERIOUSLY consider asking if I could bring my camera back to the next appointment so I could get appropriate documentation for the blog, but I didn't. I was too chicken. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Moving on.

Basically, because my neck has no curve it causes undue stress on the neck and shoulder muscles and can cause headaches as a result. I can't tell you how much sense this makes to me. I have had tension in my neck and shoulders for a very long time. I even had tension on days that I should have been relaxed. This always baffled me. Also, my headaches were ALWAYS accompanied by tension in my neck, shoulders and back.

Anyway, after explaining all of this to me, she took me in for my first adjustment. She adjusted my back and then my neck. I didn't notice much from the adjustment she did on my back, but then she adjusted one side of my neck. It was then my turn to say "Holy Cow!". Not only did I hear it (oh my word, the cracking sound was SO LOUD), but I felt relief IMMEDIATELY. And I started laughing hysterically. I don't know what that was about, I think it was because it just felt SO much better. I could literally feel a difference between the side she had adjusted and the side yet to be adjusted. It was so strange.

Wow, this is really getting to be a long post. So sorry. Wrapping up.

The bottom line? The difference in myself last week was amazing. I felt SO much better in a number of ways. The tension was gone, I slept more comfortably, my energy was higher. It is unbelievable really. I did start to feel a headache coming on and some tension on Sunday night (almost a week later), but went to bed immediately and felt fine in the morning. I had my second adjustment that morning and I continue to feel good. I should be able to start stretching the adjustments out and eventually only go as needed.

I realize this may have been more information than you wanted to know. My Mom and Dad are probably the only ones still reading this. Mom? Dad? You are still reading this, right?

Oh wait, I want to say one last thing. While, I am quite fond of my new friend (the chiropractor), I give God the glory for this! He is truly the Great Physician. And also I must say "thank you" again for your prayers on my behalf!

30 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I am SO sending my husband to the chiropractor! It's wonderful that you were able to get such relief from the adjustments.

As for your freakish spine...I have 6 vertabrae in my lumbar spine instead of the normal 5. As far as I'm concerned, freakish is good!

Xandra

Darlene R. said...

Oh Alana! So very happy that you found some relief!
I'm tellin' ya, there's nothin' like a good Chiropractor! Too bad mine is all the way in South Carolina! I'm seriously going to start saving for my first flight there...okay, maybe not. But seriously, it might be in our vacation plans this summer!

Have I mentioned how happy I am when I see a (1) next to your blog on my bloglines list? You're a great bloggity friend!

Janelle said...

I am so happy for you. I don't even know what else to say!!

His Girl said...

I'm a straight-necked freak too!

glad you're feeling bettah. AND glad you're blogging.

Kelly N said...

Yeah for you! You are going to have to share this amazing doc with me on Friday as I probably have the same problems. Your post was totally describing me! Enjoy the rest and relaxation:)

Heather said...

YEAH! So glad you felt some relief! Just remember to not stop going just because you feel relief or you will go back to straight neck city :)

dawn said...

So happy you feel better, Alana. I have been thinking of you since you wrote about your headaches to begin with. My sister really struggles with them and so does Boy1. His seem to be under control now. But we never know when one will come about.

We have been looking at his diet for the past few years to see if there is something that triggers it. What we found is that he needs more water. I can tell a big difference in the summer if he has not had much water.

No matter what the cause, I always carry Motrin for him and when he goes somewhere without me, he has to take it with him. If he can get the medicine in him as soon as he feels pain, then it will not develop into a migraine.

Yikes, what a long way to tell you I am glad you found some relief!

Carissa said...

YEAH ALANA!!!!!!!!!!!! i am THRILLED the chiro is working for you! that is WONDERFUL!!! great news, great news indeed!!!! : )

Jenny said...

My Chiro is my best friend too... SO glad you're getting some relief, Alana. Just keep going... :)

Here's to less migraines...

Jenny

Jamie said...

Alana, I think maybe you were trying to stretch your neck up to talk to me. Just Kidding. I am so glad you are feeling better, and that we have a way to keep in touch even though we never get to see each other anymore. Yay for the chiropractor!!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

This is so encouraging to me. I have been given a similar diagnosis and am praying about the timing for the treatment. I am so very glad things are working well for you. Angela

Celeste said...

Yay Alana! That is awesome! I am so happy for you. Woohoo!

Shelley said...

Awesome my friend! I don't know if mom and dad read the whole thing, but I did, 'cause I love ya! I'm so glad you feel better!

Earen said...

I'm SO glad for you Alana!! How wonderful that the chiropractor is helping!! But, Praise be to God for giving you the wisdom to seek this out & for the wisdom He's given them!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the adjustments are helping. I know you are so thankful!

Sarah Markley said...

Yeah...I think I really need to go. You cinched it. =)

Teresa said...

I read the whole thing too!! I'm so glad you feel better. Your description of your pain reminded me of how you always wanted Rich to massage (or punch) that place in your shoulder/neck that always hurt! It all makes so much sense! Glad you're feeling better!

BethAnne said...

Maybe we are long lost sisters since my chiro says my nec/back is curved the wrong way too!
Your friend Beth (aka Freak 2)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

That's fabulous news. We have some good friends who are chiropractors (husband and wife team), and they love it when they get results like you're experiencing.

Here's to the the healer and The Healer.

Denise said...

this is great news!
CELEBRATING WITH YOU

Mary@notbefore7 said...

WOW WOW WOW! So awesome!

Thinking you woudl have cracked me up having photos for your blog!

Growin' with it said...

I've never been to a Chiropractor, so that crackin' sound sends chills up MY spine! So glad you got some answers and yes...YAY God!

Heather C said...

Praising God with you! Can ya see me doing the happy dance? Oh, good. LOL!

Love,

Heather

Rochelle said...

Okay... I really thought the straight neck was you!! LOL! And you really need to take a camera and have at least ONE picture! They would get a kick out of it and talk about you for weeks to come! Glad this is working for you, makes me wanna go!

Paula said...

I am so happy you are starting to feel the relief you need. You really make me want to go get adjusted. I think two kids later, one of my hips HAS to be lower and my spine sideways for always holding a child to the right????Maybe??

Fran said...

YAY!! I really am so happy for ya!!
Can you go every day??? That might not be recommended huh??!!

Have a great weekend!! And I am ok with "The Chiropractor Chronicles!"

Hugs~
Fran

Sparky said...

Now I know two B-town girls who LOVE their chiropractor. So glad that you're feeling better. Down with headaches!

Anonymous said...

That's great news! I am so happy to hear that!

So, what does it mean if you have an exagerated curve in your lower lumbar and your butt pooches out? Normal or freaky? :)

Leah said...

I've been helped by a chiropractor many times, so I know they have their place! I'm so glad you are feeling some relief, and I pray you can be headache-free real soon!

Unknown said...

That is amazing! I'm so glad that you have found some relief!